Pointers on ongoing case: PUSHPA DEVI AND ANR. v. STATE OF PUNJAB AND OTHERS (CRWP-6314-2021)
- The petitioners filed the present petition under Articles 226/227 of the Constitution of India for issuance of directions to protect their life and liberty from danger at the hands of respondents.
- The petitioners have pleaded that the petitioners aged about 21 and 19 years respectively developed love affair and are living together. Petitioner No.2 has not yet attained the age of marriage and the petitioners will solemnize marriage as and when petitioner No.2 attains the age of marriage.
- Respondents No.4 and 5 want to get marriage of petitioner No.1 forcibly solemnized with some boy against her choice and also threatened that both the petitioners would be killed for the sake of family prestige. The petitioners made representation dated 02.07.2021 to respondent No.2 for protection of their life and liberty but no action has been taken on the same.
- Learned Counsel for the petitioners submitted that the petitioners, who are living in live-in-relationship, complained to the Superintendent of Police seeking necessary protection but no action has been taken so far in the matter. Therefore, appropriate direction may be given for protection of life and liberty of the petitioners.
- Learned State Counsel has no objection if appropriate direction is given for protection of life and liberty of the petitioners.
- The court refereed to the cases of Nandakumar and another Vs. State of Kerala and others, Soni Gerry Vs. Gerry Douglas and Megha and another Vs. State of Haryana and others and decided that in the present case the petitioners being major are entitled to live together in live-in-relationship and are also entitled to protection of their life and liberty against any harm from respondents No.4 and 5.
- The court disposed of the petition and asked the Superintendent of Police to o look into the grievances of the petitioners and take appropriate action for protection of their life and liberty as may be warranted by the circumstances.